Difficulty: simple, Serving: 2-3 lunchbox servings
What we need: Sauce pan/ non-stick pan
- 1/2 cup brown lentils, uncooked
- 1/2 cup red lentils, uncooked
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic+ginger paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or a few fresh sprigs out garden
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (half parsley, half coriander is also delicious)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, roughly.
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- In a saucepan with a dash of olive oil, add garlic+ginger, onion, carrots, celery and bay leaves. Saute’ for a few minutes.
- Add lentils and cover with water, 2-3cm above lentils.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and then simmer for a further 20-25 minutes on low heat. Keep an eye on lentils in case you need to add more water.
- Lentils must be tender and not mushy.
- Drain any remaining liquid.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, fresh herbs and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let it cool to room temperature before serving. Best is to refrigerate over night.
- Serve with feta, cucumber, avo or even roasted seeds.