Weekends are for sleeping in and eating brunch. This wholesome recipe makes having pancakes for breakfast less of a sin. I love this yummy treat as it keeps me going for most of the day and it’s even great as a dessert.
These pancakes contain fibre which is a fantastic way of trying to keep our bodies cancer-free. Fibre also aids in keeping our systems regular, even though us as South Africans eat half the fibre we should be eating. Why not makes these pancakes for your next family breakfast?
Being aware of what we consume is a step closer to making better choices. As I have reached my late twenties I’ve realized what an affect healthy eating has to my body, mood and even my energy levels. I want to make the right choices now so when I’m in my thirties or even my forties,I am feeling and looking good.
The recipe for the pancakes was taken out of “Your Best Life- quick& healthy family fare” cookbook by Dr Michael Mol and John berry.
The topping was completely an experiment that turned out rather tasty.
Dificulty: simple, Serving: 3-4
What we need: non stick pan, sauce pan/pot
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1/2 cup coconut milk/ whole milk
- 1 apple, grated
- 1 Tbs mixed seeds/chai seeds
- 1 cup Wholemeal Flour
- 1/2 cup traditional rolled oats
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbs Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tbs Coconut/ Olive oil
- 3 Tbs Butter or Coconut oil
Topping: (serves 2) Please double to serve 3-4
- 130g Gooseberries
- 1/2 cup Rooibos tea
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbs Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- For the topping: Add all ingredients to sauce pan. Heat to a medium heat. When mixture starts to boil squash the gooseberries slightly.
- Turn heat to a simmer. stir occasionally
- When the topping thickens (approx 10 minutes) its done. Remove from heat.
- For the Pancakes: Combine wet ingredients (egg, oil, milk and apple) in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients (flour, oats, salt, baking powder, seeds and cinnamon).
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Don’t over mix, just enough to be combined.
- Heat non stick pan to med- high heat.
- Add butter, pour batter onto pan (choose the size you want).
- When the top begins to bubble, turn pancake.
- Serve with Greek Yoghurt and Gooseberry Topping.